Bug 9930 - REGRESSION (r15093): Page auto-scrolls during drag over non-editable content
Summary: REGRESSION (r15093): Page auto-scrolls during drag over non-editable content
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: WebKit
Classification: Unclassified
Component: WebKit Misc. (show other bugs)
Version: 420+
Hardware: Macintosh OS X 10.4
: P1 Normal
Assignee: Nobody
URL:
Keywords: InRadar, Regression
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2006-07-15 04:43 PDT by mitz
Modified: 2009-05-01 06:11 PDT (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description mitz 2006-07-15 04:43:27 PDT
Dragging text from another window over the top or bottom of a Safari window causes the latter to auto-scroll. This has been addressed before in the fix for rdar://problem/4267144 and regressed again in r15093.
Comment 1 mitz 2006-07-15 06:00:09 PDT
Reading the change log, I see that the change was intended to allow autoscrolling to such drop destinations as textareas and file upload controls.
Comment 2 Darin Adler 2006-07-15 06:13:33 PDT
We reopened rdar://problem/4267144 on 2006-07-06 because of this, so there's already a Radar bug report about it.
Comment 3 Darin Adler 2006-07-15 06:14:18 PDT
Comments from John Sullivan:

"A recent change reintroduced this issue, more or less on purpose. (The argument is that you might be dragging a file over the page in order to drop it into an editable area or file-upload control.)

"We'll have to figure out if there's a compromise solution that will make everyone not too unhappy."
Comment 4 Dave Hyatt 2006-07-15 17:38:59 PDT
The current behavior seems quite reasonable to me.
Comment 5 Dave Hyatt 2006-07-15 17:39:17 PDT
In other words, my recommendation would be to close this as invalid.
Comment 6 John Sullivan 2006-07-15 17:54:48 PDT
I disagree with Hyatt. I specifically fixed this issue a while back because it was reported as an annyoing regression. There's one scenario in particular that is easy to run into -- you have a Safari window open, which takes up much of the screen (generally all the way down to the Dock), and you drag a text file in the Finder from one place to another (perhaps to the Dock) -- it happens to cross the Safari window, and the Safari window scrolls, and scrolls pretty rapidly.
Comment 7 Dave Hyatt 2007-01-12 00:52:58 PST
A compromise might be to autoscroll only if you're editable.

Comment 8 Nicholas Shanks 2007-04-08 16:10:43 PDT
I think dragging NSStringPboardTypes into a text area that's scrolled out of sight is more common than dragging NSURLPboardTypes into a file upload well that is scrolled away. Perhaps it only needs to be done in one case, or that there be a few second wait-delay before scrolling begins.
Comment 9 Maxime BRITTO 2007-06-22 07:45:31 PDT
On safari 3beta / r23737.
When I press back button while reading a mail I come back to the page just before my InBox (the login page)
Comment 10 John Sullivan 2007-06-22 09:13:55 PDT
The last comment might have been intended for some other bug report. It has nothing to do with this one.
Comment 11 David Kilzer (:ddkilzer) 2007-06-22 10:52:21 PDT
(In reply to comment #9)
> On safari 3beta / r23737.
> When I press back button while reading a mail I come back to the page just
> before my InBox (the login page)

(In reply to comment #10)
> The last comment might have been intended for some other bug report. It has
> nothing to do with this one.

Probably Bug 4396.