Created attachment 71699 [details]
Application: rekonq (0.6.1)
KDE Platform Version: 4.5.1 (KDE 4.5.1)
Qt Version: 4.7.0
Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic x86_64
Distribution: Ubuntu maverick (development branch)
-- Information about the crash:
- What I was doing when the application crashed:
I visited a random page which has an embedded flash object
- Custom settings of the application:
I was trying lightspark from http://launchpad.net/~sssup/+archive/sssup-ppa instead of using adobe's flash plugin. The lightspark version is 0.4.4.3
The crash can be reproduced every time.
Also see my earlier bug report at KDE Bugzilla: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=250982
According to the author of Lightspark, "it crashes when trying to use NPN_GetValueForURL (see https://developer.mozilla.org/en/NPN_GetValueForURL).
Lightspark needs all the plugin API supported by Gecko 1.9 and WebKit does not implement all of them."
- Webkit(-qt?) is not immune for crashing plugins. This is a bug the way I see it.
- Webkit does not support the full Mozilla plugin API. I think Lightspark should be able to cope with that, but it would be nice for developers if the API support would be compatible.
- Lightspark is not robust as in that it does dangerous assumptions.
Maybe the Webkit(-qt) developers can try to have Webkit not crash when a plugin crashes?
Please follow http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/QtWebKitBugs when reporing bugs (missing Qt keyword).
(In reply to comment #1)
> Maybe the Webkit(-qt) developers can try to have Webkit not crash when a plugin crashes?
Unfortunatelly, this is not as easy as it sounds.
NPN_GetValueForURL has already been implemented as it was a requirement to get java applets to work as well. See https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34539.
Unfortunately it is not available in the version of QtWebKit bundled with Qt. You have to use QtWebKit v2.1 and up from git.
Can someone with karma close this bug report as already fixed ?
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 34539 ***