Bug 224689 - [GStreamer] Kaltura video playback is choppy (also affects cnn.com, reddit.com, various other websites)
Summary: [GStreamer] Kaltura video playback is choppy (also affects cnn.com, reddit.co...
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: WebKit
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Media (show other bugs)
Version: WebKit Nightly Build
Hardware: PC Linux
: P2 Normal
Assignee: Nobody
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2021-04-16 13:28 PDT by Michael Catanzaro
Modified: 2021-11-20 02:25 PST (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:


Attachments
Debug log (756.67 KB, text/x-log)
2021-04-16 13:28 PDT, Michael Catanzaro
no flags Details
Screencast of choppy playback (3.17 MB, video/webm)
2021-04-16 13:29 PDT, Michael Catanzaro
no flags Details
Example on cnn.com (397.31 KB, video/webm)
2021-10-12 07:41 PDT, Michael Catanzaro
no flags Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Michael Catanzaro 2021-04-16 13:28:46 PDT
Created attachment 426265 [details]
Debug log

Video playback of any Kaltura video, e.g. https://demo.kaltura.me/rapt-test.html, is slow and choppy. This happens with both Ephy Tech Preview and F34 system Epiphany, both using gstreamer-openh264.

Surprisingly, Firefox has the same issue. (Could be something up with OpenH264?)

P.S. It's open source: https://github.com/kaltura/kaltura-player-js
Comment 1 Michael Catanzaro 2021-04-16 13:29:20 PDT
Created attachment 426266 [details]
Screencast of choppy playback
Comment 2 Philippe Normand 2021-04-23 02:46:14 PDT
Might be an openh264dec bug indeed:

0:00:04.095260351 230244 0x7f6560003430 LOG        webkitmediaplayer MediaPlayerPrivateGStreamer.cpp:767:didLoadingProgress:<media-player-5> didLoadingProgress: false
0:00:04.104046315 230244 0x5604e2269060 ERROR            openh264dec :0::<openh264dec0> [OpenH264] this = 0x0x7f63780bf6d0, Error:DecodeCurrentAccessUnit()::::::PrefetchPic ERROR, pSps->iNumRefFrames:5.
Comment 3 Michael Catanzaro 2021-07-11 07:05:34 PDT
Do you think it's a GStreamer bug, or a bug with OpenH264?
Comment 4 Michael Catanzaro 2021-07-23 05:56:59 PDT
Still broken with the 21.08 runtime (including GStreamer 1.18)
Comment 5 Philippe Normand 2021-07-23 06:04:49 PDT
(In reply to Michael Catanzaro from comment #4)
> Still broken with the 21.08 runtime (including GStreamer 1.18)

I'm not very surprised, given how little maintenance the gst openh264 decoder receives.
Comment 6 Michael Catanzaro 2021-10-12 07:41:20 PDT
Created attachment 440927 [details]
Example on cnn.com

Here's another example: https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/animations/w_447/211012075606-desktop-climate-central-london.mp4. I almost opened a new bug for this before I realized it's probably this same issue.
Comment 7 Philippe Normand 2021-10-12 09:39:53 PDT
(In reply to Michael Catanzaro from comment #6)
> Created attachment 440927 [details]
> Example on cnn.com
> 
> Here's another example:
> https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/animations/w_447/211012075606-desktop-
> climate-central-london.mp4. I almost opened a new bug for this before I
> realized it's probably this same issue.

This one plays just fine with gst main openh264dec.
In the future please open GStreamer bugs for openh264 issues.
Comment 8 Michael Catanzaro 2021-10-12 10:48:30 PDT
(In reply to Philippe Normand from comment #7)
> This one plays just fine with gst main openh264dec.

I feel like we could avoid a lot of the "works for me" issues if we aligned the WebKit and GNOME runtimes on the same version of GStreamer.

Looks like we have gst 1.18.5 in freedesktop-sdk 21.08, so that is the version that we would need to investigate to ensure that Tech Preview works properly.

> In the future please open GStreamer bugs for openh264 issues.

Sorry, but I have no way to know what is an openh264 issue vs. what is a WebKit issue until you tell me. It seems that most of the multimedia bugs I report turn out to be WebKit issues, though, so I think this Bugzilla is at least the right place to start. ;)
Comment 9 Michael Catanzaro 2021-10-12 11:17:43 PDT
(In reply to Michael Catanzaro from comment #8)
> Looks like we have gst 1.18.5 in freedesktop-sdk 21.08, so that is the
> version that we would need to investigate to ensure that Tech Preview works
> properly.

That is actually the latest stable version. Do you think this may have been fixed in openh264dec between 1.18.5 and current main?
Comment 10 Michael Catanzaro 2021-11-18 14:30:58 PST
(In reply to Philippe Normand from comment #7)
> This one plays just fine with gst main openh264dec.
> In the future please open GStreamer bugs for openh264 issues.

Are you sure it's working fine? In current Tech Preview, it seems to work for the first few seconds, but then it degrades badly. Again, this is using the very latest GStreamer 1.18.5.
Comment 11 Philippe Normand 2021-11-20 02:25:58 PST
(In reply to Michael Catanzaro from comment #10)
> (In reply to Philippe Normand from comment #7)
> > This one plays just fine with gst main openh264dec.
> > In the future please open GStreamer bugs for openh264 issues.
> 
> Are you sure it's working fine? In current Tech Preview, it seems to work
> for the first few seconds, but then it degrades badly. Again, this is using
> the very latest GStreamer 1.18.5.

when I tested this it was with the latest development version back then. Of the git main branch. Which is much ahead of 1.18.5.