Bug 14644 - Fails to open PDF - WebKitErrorDomain 203
Summary: Fails to open PDF - WebKitErrorDomain 203
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 10510
Alias: None
Product: WebKit
Classification: Unclassified
Component: New Bugs (show other bugs)
Version: 523.x (Safari 3)
Hardware: Macintosh OS X 10.4
: P2 Normal
Assignee: Nobody
URL: http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/n...
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2007-07-17 09:49 PDT by Patricia Warwick
Modified: 2007-07-18 10:17 PDT (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Patricia Warwick 2007-07-17 09:49:39 PDT
I get this error - WebKitErrorDomain 203 when I go to this page (this is progress because previously WebKit crashed any time I attempted to open a PDF.)
Comment 1 David Kilzer (:ddkilzer) 2007-07-17 11:29:08 PDT
Hi Patricia, do you have any PDF plug-ins installed like Adobe [Acrobat] Reader?  They would be listed under "Help" menu, "Installed Plug-ins" (search for "pdf" on the page).
Comment 2 Patricia Warwick 2007-07-17 13:25:55 PDT
Yes ... I have two:

PDF Browser Plugin 2.2.3
Adobe Acrobat and Reader Plug-in for Web Browsers, Version 7.0.9 — from file “AdobePDFViewer.plugin”.
Comment 3 Patricia Warwick 2007-07-18 05:12:55 PDT
I should add that Safari displays PDFs although I get an error message "Plug-in cancelled" in the Activity window. Could the problem be due to the fact that I have two plug-ins for PDFs?
Comment 4 David Kilzer (:ddkilzer) 2007-07-18 08:39:48 PDT
(In reply to comment #3)
> I should add that Safari displays PDFs although I get an error message "Plug-in
> cancelled" in the Activity window. Could the problem be due to the fact that I
> have two plug-ins for PDFs?

Possibly.  Try remove one (or both) of them to see if this error goes away.  The default should be that they open within Safari.

Comment 5 Patricia Warwick 2007-07-18 09:22:38 PDT
I removed the Adobe plugin and left the Schubert plugin and the page is displayed correctly now. (It also removed the Safari error.)
Perhaps the problem is that the plugin was for Acrobat 7.
Comment 6 David Kilzer (:ddkilzer) 2007-07-18 09:25:05 PDT
(In reply to comment #5)
> I removed the Adobe plugin and left the Schubert plugin and the page is
> displayed correctly now. (It also removed the Safari error.)
> Perhaps the problem is that the plugin was for Acrobat 7.

Add back each plug-in (one-at-a-time), restart Safari and test.  This should tell you which one is causing the issue (or if they both must be installed to reproduce the error).

Comment 7 Patricia Warwick 2007-07-18 09:34:08 PDT
Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I ONLY removed the Adobe plugin. I did not remove the Schubert plugin. Therefore I think that the Adobe plugin caused the problem.
Comment 8 Alexey Proskuryakov 2007-07-18 09:56:22 PDT
Confirmed with r24399 and Acrobat Viewer 7.0.8 (plugin 7.0.5). I think this is a duplicate of bug 10510 (and also INVALID as such). Please confirm that you are getting the same console output (as visible in /Utilities/Console.app, console.log):

------------------------------------------
2007-07-18 20:55:28.840 WebKit[290] CFLog (21): Error loading /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/WebKit:  error code 4, error number 0 (Symbol not found: _WebCoreUnicodeDirectionFunction
  Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/WebKit
  Expected in: /Volumes/WebKit/WebKit.app/Contents/Resources/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/WebCore
)
------------------------------------------


The crash was fixed in bug 11430.
Comment 9 Patricia Warwick 2007-07-18 10:09:25 PDT
That error message is in the console log.
Comment 10 Alexey Proskuryakov 2007-07-18 10:17:12 PDT
Thank you for verifying this!

According to the analysis in bug 10510, it's a bug in Acrobat Viewer 7 that it cannot work with WebKit nightly builds (but it should hopefully work again after installing using Safari 3 beta, or a future Safari 3 release).

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 10510 ***