the GtkLauncher is currently missing some important points for testing rendering and new API. Some points:
- Cut/Copy/Paste clipboard API into an "Edit" menu
- An Open menu item in a "File" menu for opening local files
- A "Bookmarks" menu showing fixed URIs good for testing
- A notebook for testing the correct behavior of multiple webviews (i.e. page-loading-related signals)
Created attachment 18092 [details]
Add "Edit" with cut/copy/paste items and "Bookmarks" menu with just 2 bookmarks.
Created attachment 18093 [details]
The bookmarks implementation is cute but I think we should avoid statically hard coding any more URLs into GtkLauncher. Any one else have thoughts on this?
(Personally I'd like to see a menu entry to enable/disable editing, but that can be added later of course.)
Created attachment 18310 [details]
Add editable-mode menu item and refresh/stop tool buttons.
Comment on attachment 18310 [details]
Clearing the review flag on this.
The functionality is important but it makes GtkLauncher ugly, which is a problem since GtkLauncher is the first thing users see, appears in screenshots, magazines etc. I didn't consider how to make it look better, maybe just a matter of adding more menu entries.
I don't understand, what you suggest then?
Created attachment 19472 [details]
Add navigational keyboard shortcuts to GtkLauncher
Here's another enhancement for GtkLauncher, which might be useful for testing history items etc. and makes using the GtkLauncher slightly more pleasant to use.
- <Ctrl>-l for activating the url entry
- <Meta>-Home for going to start page (google.com really)
- <Meta>-Left for going to back in history
- <Meta>-Right for going to forward in history
AFAIK these should be pretty universally used shortcuts, and at least I'm basing my browser usage to those so not having them is a pain :)
In my opinion this is wasted effort, making a test tool into a browser. We should rather make it easier to run Epiphany or Midori if typing it is too hard.
These days we can test webkitgtk+ with Epiphany and Midori, so after quickly bringing this issue to the IRC channel, I am closing this bug report.