Bug 11959

Summary: Improve layout test result display
Product: WebKit Reporter: mitz@webkit.org <mitz@webkit.org>
Component: Tools / TestsAssignee: Nobody <webkit-unassigned@lists.webkit.org>
Status: NEW    
Severity: Enhancement CC: ddkilzer@webkit.org, eric@webkit.org, mrowe@apple.com, sam@webkit.org
Priority: P4    
Version: 420+   
Hardware: Macintosh   
OS: Mac OS X 10.4   
Attachments:
Description Flags
Mockup (very rough draft)
none
Mockup Recreated
none
Mockup (gzipped) none

Description From 2006-12-24 13:10:21 PST
The HTML output of run-webkit-tests, used to examine test failures, can be improved in several ways. I am attaching a very crude mockup of what the display of a single test failure might look like.
------- Comment #1 From 2006-12-24 13:11:32 PST -------
Created an attachment (id=12005) [details]
Mockup (very rough draft)
------- Comment #2 From 2006-12-24 13:16:34 PST -------
Some notes on the mockup: the slider is intended to control an SVG filter applied to the difference image to enhance small differences (basically a linear transformation). In fact, I think it might be possible to not save the difference image as a file at all and generate it on the fly using SVG.

Also, since the width is 800px, there's plenty of room for a sidebar with the list of all failing tests.
------- Comment #3 From 2006-12-24 13:19:12 PST -------
Oh, and while I don't find it particularly useful, the "alternate between actual and expected images" functionality could be preserved, activated say by clicking a small icon between the actual and expected tabs.

It would also be nice to have the text diff colorized.
------- Comment #4 From 2006-12-24 13:55:23 PST -------
(In reply to comment #1)
> Created an attachment (id=12005) [edit] [details]
> Mockup (very rough draft)

None of the expected, actual or diff images show up when I open the .webarchive, although I've confirmed that they're all in file.  Not sure why, though.  If I convert the .webarchive to a "web page, complete" format, it seems to work fine.
------- Comment #5 From 2006-12-24 13:58:17 PST -------
Created an attachment (id=12007) [details]
Mockup Recreated

Converted Attachment 12005 [details] to a "web page, complete" format using a Perl script I've been working on, then converted it back to a .webarchive.  Works for me even after the "original" files have been removed.
------- Comment #6 From 2006-12-24 14:00:22 PST -------
(In reply to comment #4)
> (In reply to comment #1)
> > Created an attachment (id=12005) [edit] [details]
> > Mockup (very rough draft)
> 
> None of the expected, actual or diff images show up when I open the
> .webarchive, although I've confirmed that they're all in file.  Not sure why,
> though.  If I convert the .webarchive to a "web page, complete" format, it
> seems to work fine.

This is probably a bug when reloading the .webarchive, although it would be useful to have the original sources to make it reproducible.
------- Comment #7 From 2006-12-24 14:16:36 PST -------
Created an attachment (id=12008) [details]
Mockup (gzipped)